We are energy beings. We run on energy called the life force energy, or bioenergy or prana. Everything we eat, do or experience either increases our energy or depletes it. This includes the food we eat, our lifestyle, people we interact with, our motions, habits and patterns.
Just as blood runs in our body through veins and arteries, similarly energy runs in our body through energy meridians. These are the invisible energy channels that run throughout our body. They are called nadis in sanskrit. Wherever two meridians interact, it creates a swirl of energy which is called a chakra. Chakra in sanskrit means wheel.
According to an ancient text, there are 72,000 nadis or energy meridians in our body and there are 18,000 chakras. Out of these, there are 7 major chakras where maximum number of meridians intersect. These 7 major chakras create a sort of energy backbone of our body.
Why is it necessary to know about chakras and energy?
1. Since we run on energy and everything around us affects our energy, in order to maintain energetic balance and harmony in the body, we need to pay attention to our energy.
2. Our moods, emotions and chemicals in the body are affected by this energy. This affects our productivity and efficiency at work/studies, motivation, focus, concentration and memory.
3. Energy blocks in our body and energy system lead to blocks in our life, health issues and consequently our relationships, finances and spiritual growth. So if you have been experiencing any blocks or problems in your health, relationships, finances, career growth or generally feeling low and unhappy, it is likely that your energy system is not in harmony.
4. We are constantly creating our reality (aka Law of Attraction). The basis of LoA is “Like attracts like”. I.e. similar energies are attracted to each other. If we want to create a certain reality for ourself, we need to pay attention to how our energy is in the moment and how do we want it to be.
5. If you notice certain patterns in your life related to your relationships, choice of partners or friends, patterns with colleagues repeating, this means that pattern was learnt long ago in childhood and is in your energy system blocking certain chakras or energy meridians.
What are the 7 major chakras and what do they do?
The 7 major chakras are as follows
1. Root (Muladhar)
2. Sacral (Swadishthan)
3. Solar Plexus (Manipur)
4. Heart (Anahata)
5. Throat (Vishuddha)
6. Third Eye (Ajna)
7. Crown (Sahastrar)
Located at the base of our spine, it relates to the feeling of groundedness. It serves as our foundation of life and deals with fears, survival, security, physical body and energy. It relates to our basic needs for survival.
When in balance we feel secure, connected, supported, strong and safe.
When out of balance we feel insecure, annoyed, irritated and worried about our basic needs such as money, food and shelter
Located below the navel, it relates to creativity and feelings. Sexual pleasure, creativity, passion, and emotional experiences are governed by the sacral chakra.
When in balance we feel passionate, energetic, outgoing, confident, creative, spontaneous, excited, open and happily connected to life.
When out of balance we feel unsure of ourselves in relationships, vulnerability and fear leading to suppressing needs, feeling betrayed, addicted, frustrated, regret, stress and guilt.
Solar Plexus Chakra
Located just above the navel, it relates to personal power, will and action. It is literally the fire in the belly as well as the gut instinct.
When in balance we feel positive, self-respect, self-esteem, personal power and assertive.
When out of balance we feel powerless, worthless, self-critical, rejected and self-conscious. There is a need to dominate and control from fear of trust in the natural flow.
Located in the centre of the chest, it relates to unconditional love, compassion, openness to the flow of life, healing and group consciousness.
When in balance we feel joy, gratitude, love, compassion, faith, forgiveness and empathy.
When out of balance we feel jealous, abandoned, bitterness, conditional love and closed to love and new experiences.
Located in the throat near the thyroid gland, it relates to expression, communication, creativity and voice.
When in balance we can communicate freely, express ourselves, be who we are, honest, truthful, congruent and authentic.
When out of balance we feel powerless to speak out, fear of being judged, rejected, blocked in creativity, writer’s block.
Third Eye Chakra
Located between the eyebrows, it relates to clarity of spiritual vision, intuitions, understanding the truth and insights.
When in balance we feel clear, focused, can determine between truth and illusion. We are open to receiving wisdom, insight and intelligence.
When out of balance we reject ideas of spiritual aspects of life, can be in fear of self and others, exaggerate truths, feel volatile, moody and are unable to self-reflect. It leads to black and white thinking of life.
Located at the top of the head, it relates to the spiritual connectedness, enlightenment, feeling of oneness.
When in balance we feel empowered, calm, trusting of ourselves and the flow of life. Can abandon ego for a higher universal purpose.
When out of balance we feel confusion, alienation, depression. We may have very fixed thoughts on religion and spirituality, be black and white thinkers who are not able to go with the flow.
Chakra Balancing and Cleansing
Cleansing and balancing your chakras can help you in times of great trouble, or when you’re a beginner psychic, and you’re not sure how to cleanse yourself, yet you’ve collected some negative energies. Or, when you suffer from many problems and your life turns into chaos, then cleansing and balancing can put you at peace for some time. In result, you will be able to solve your problems gently, one by one.
Often, chakra cleansing can even get rid of a problem for good, by removing the blockage, the pattern that was stored in your etheric body. But, it’s not always the case, so whenever you’re willing to get yourself a balancing & cleansing, you need to be prepared for further work. The good news is that after balancing and cleansing, that further work should be much easier.